Help setting up remote tablets for order taking

So need to buy a windows server?

You could… or just buy microsoft windows 10 tablets and install sambapos on them and use them with a SQL server and wifi network. Total cost for that would be much cheaper. You can get reliable tablets for $99-200

Windows server plus the appropriate licenses for RDP will cost you well over $2000

Is there any tutorial that I can look at for this please?

Tutorial for using multiple terminals?

No, setting up windows tablets

There is nothing special… you just install SambaPOS on them like they are another terminal. You install sambapos then point it to your SQL Server database. If you know how to setup multiple terminals then you can setup a tablet.

If you need help with setting up multiple terminals then first you need to install SQL Express 2016 and get SambaPOS to connect to it. Here are some tutorials for that. The first tutorial is for SQL Express 2014 but 2016 is latest version. You should get 2016 the install instructions are the same.

It sound easy…) all I need is create another user on the main computer and use the same datebase?

No you connect to the database from the tablet… you dont connect to the computer. Best method is to setup mixed mode auth on SQL Express and connect with that and not use Windows Authentication. Read the tutorials above if you dont know what I am talking about.

@Jesse please slit this discussion as necessary into a new topic since it has nothing to do with the OP.

I would do it myself, but cannot think of an appropriate Topic Title :wink:

1 Like

LOL had no clue it was in this thread. Your right I will move it.

1 Like

I have setup SQL express 2012 yesterday and connected to the sambapos that’s fine. The proble is how to connect windows tablet or use sambapos?

read the tutorials… You connect it same way.

Thank you so much, Iam going to read them all and try tomorrow.
Sory about my ignorance.

Good night.

@Jesse i am using windows tablet. i setup sambapos v5 to them but i have problem about connection. i often disconnecting from sambapos. What can i do for this. i connect with wifi tplink archer c9 and using switch.

Increase WiFi reliability and coverage.

2 Likes

how can i do this? can you help me?

Buy better router? Check for signal dead spots and put repeaters there. Tplink makes some good routers but they also make cheap of the cheap that are better off as door stops.

1 Like

Initial testing on the Unifi UAPs I have are showing very stable and strong boxes and the basic not 5ghz models are not overly expencive either.

2.4 ghz has superior range and reliability.

For WiFi reliability & Coverage

1. Place your wifi modem/router AWAY from any microwaves, cordless telephones, and anything that could interfere with it’s signal.
  2. Buy a Wifi Repeater or access point for more wifi coverage if you have a big place. Or to cover deadspot areas.
  3. Typically any 2.4ghz -5ghz is good enough. Having a bit of an expensive modem pays off. If you can afford wifi AC mixed with N coverage even better.
  4. having your tablets on a seperate ssid will help too. Some modems allow multi SSID. Typically 1/2 for guests and then the main one.
    You could connect them via main, and use guest ssid’s for guest wifi or other devices.
2 Likes