How to print {ORDER TAGS} independently from {ORDERS}?

Hi. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks and learning how to set up a POS system for my coffee / smoothie shop. So far I have figured many things out through reading, but now I’m stuck and would like some help.

I want to print a different label sticker for each cup (which I was able to do with Separated Prints by Quantity). I have success with {ORDER TAGS} showing in the customer’s receipt (on notepad and regular thermal printer), but I cannot get them to show on the Zebra LP2824 label printer which uses EPL (Eltron Programming Language). I have configured the printing template to use raw printer type already. Please refer to pictures to see my process.

Order tags show up in the screen OK:

Customer’s receipt shows the order tags OK:

(I didn’t take a screenshot of the template code for the receipt printer.)

The labels DON’T show the order tags; they only show the actual words “Order tags”:

This is how I wrote the code for the labels:

As you can see, the “protein”, “whipped cream”, and “extra espresso” did not show up on the labels. I didn’t put {ORDER TAGS} under [ORDERS] because the Zebra label printer prints everyone on the same line so the order tags overlap onto each other into a messy blob. That is why I coded the {ORDER TAGS} onto a separate line. The EPL printer language doesn’t recognize or codes either.

I also have a problem with {TICKET QUANTITY SUM} not showing the total number of items in an order. It just shows 1 (even though there are 2 items). I want to get it to show [1 of 2] and [2 of 2] on the labels.

I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

1 Like

Remove line “*{ORDER TAGS}”

Add to
[ORDERS]
{PRODUCT NAME}

• {ORDER TAGS}

Thank you for the reply, sukasem.

I have tried it your way already before posting, but the label printer prints *{ORDER TAGS} on the same line with {PRODUCT NAME} and overlaps the product name, which is not what I want.

The “extra espresso” overlaps the “Mocha Frappe”.

That is why I am looking for a way to get the Order Tags onto a different line.

Can you show an example? What do you mean with “on the same line”? Is it printing tags next to the product name? Please keep in mind you can still add formatting commands in front of tags for @sukasem’s example.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean? Because the pictures you showed is exactly what @sukasem showed an example of.

1 Like

I just edited my post to show pictures.

I see you have a lot of codes in there. Are any of those specifically for new line? You can format:

[ORDERS]
{PRODUCT NAME}
*{ORDER TAGS}

To use those codes as well.

I dont know what they do but just for quick example

[ORDERS]
A15,38,0,3,1,1,N,{PRODUCT NAME}
A15,38,0,3,1,1,N,*{ORDER TAGS}

N <—clear printer’s buffer
q457 <—label’s width in dots (203 dots/inch)
Q152,15 <----label’s height in dots
S1 <----printing speed (slow for better quality)
D10 <-----density (darker font)
ZB <----print upside down
A15,8,0,1,1,1,N,“Ticket#:{TICKET NO} {DATE} @{TIME}” <----code to start printing this Ticket# line
LE15,26,450,2 <—solid line position, and length
A15,38,0,3,1,1,N,"{ORDERS}" <----Orders line
LE15,115,450,2 <—solid line position and length
A15,125,0,1,1,1,N,“Guest:{NOTE} Item #: x of {TICKET QUANTITY SUM}” <----code to start printing Guest line
P1,1 <—tells printer to print 1 copy

[ORDERS]
{PRODUCT NAME}
{ORDER TAGS}

[ORDER TAGS]
*{ORDER TAG NAME}

(I have tried adding in < J00 > and < L00 > in front of {ORDER TAG NAME} and {ORDER TAGS}, but the printer actually prints out the text < J00 > and < L00 >. (Spaces added to show up on this forum).

So you have to put it all in quotes?

@aznwonderboy I’ll suggest you setup a demo (notepad) printer, see final result as text output to ensure if it is formatted as needed by barcode printer.

You probably have to find out what is your printer New Line code.
I dont know what this mean but try put this A15,38,0,3,1,1,N, in front of *{ORDER TAG NAME}

1 Like

I hope this would work, but it still didn’t. (Yes, I have to put quotation marks around any Data string.

So what output did that give? Try this:

@emre I don’t understand how printing to a demo printer helps. Please explain the process.

I switched it to using demo (notepad) printer, but it only shows me the code that I typed into the printer template. It doesn’t show the format that the Zebra printer actually output.

The above code gives me the bottom label sticker. If I don’t put *{ORDER TAG NAME} in quotation marks, then it will give me the top label sticker:

You’ll see how tags (such as {ORDERS}) expands, you can easily see what you’re sending to printer and how you should structure your template.

From what I see the problem is your printer code. It continue printing on same line even it end of line
What exactly 38,0,3,1,1,N?

Maybe one of 1s in printer code is telling printer to print on first line?

Here are my processes for printing to a demo printer:

1. Choose demo printer (instead of the label printer) and save:

2. Type this code into printer template:

1. Created a test order:

2. This is what pops up on the notepad (demo printer):

I’m not sure what I should get from this output.

What if you don’t put any formatting code?
Try that to see if it print new line correctly

That output is exactly what it is sending to your printer… so you need to look at it and see if that is correct.

As you can see it is not putting any formatting for whipped cream and whipped cream is also in same quotations as caramel frappe which I am sure is wrong.

So according to that output you should probably try something like this:

N
q457
Q152,15
S1
D10
ZB
A15,8,0,1,1,1,N,"Ticket#:{TICKET NO}              {DATE} @{TIME}"
LE15,26,450,2
{ORDERS}
LE15,115,450,2
A15,125,0,1,1,1,N,"Guest:{NOTE}             Item #: x of {TICKET QUANTITY SUM}"