Installation and set up

Most programs that use SQL wouldn’t loose all records when uninstalling the program itself as they are stored externally to the software in SQL.
This is not uncommon.

I had saved the database files beforehand with the old information in it.
So I am putting the database to Users/Alp folder and trying and deleting and trying again and again…
I am following all the advices on the forum…
Jesse gives one, you give another and I keep trying…
And still cannot have a fresh start…

I expected the same behaviour from SambaPos actually, but when I installed it again all the information was there (not deleted, a bit strange for me)
Stranger than that, I followed the advices of all experienced users and The program doesn’t start at all anymore…

SQL express is not a single file database. You can’t just move a file around or delete it. You need to connect to the database and use mssms to delete the database. Sambapos will create new ones if your connected correctly to SQL express.

It looks like you were never connected correctly. Perhaps you deleted or moved an mdf file and messed it up. Look at the tutorial for installing SQL express and connecting to the database

Jesse,
I deleted it with Sql Server Management Studio, I mentioned that before. It did not start.
I deleted by hand . I did not start.
I deleted again with Sql Server Management Studio (after restoring it to the original location from my own backup) And I did not start again.

I deleted the SambaSettings.txt and It did not start again.

So just keep complaining about it and don’t listen. There are more than one database method.
As you don’t know exactly what your using we are having to try and work it out from what your saying as no screenshots or additional info provided.
Samba is not a simple plug and play program, it’s highly customisable by end user.
There are allot of variables that make it hard to just give you a single direct answer as no 2 setups are likely ever 100% identical.

You did it wrong but I can’t see what you did. Can you show some screenshots?

I appreciate your efforts on helping.
I am extremely surprised how I managed to messe it up so quickly… :slight_smile:

Yes, screenshots at what stage?

Ok could you please tell me what should I do, in order to eradicate all traces of SambaPos on the PC (except formatting harddrive) so I can make a fresh install?
all locations , registry settings so it will not remember anything from the past.

Just remember we can’t see anything. It’s like standing behind a wall and trying to explain to the person on the other side how to build a computer. Yes you did something wrong and it may be simple but it will be hard for us to know for sure. Do this go to add remove programs uninstall sambapos then delete the folder in in programdata(hidden) then uninstall sql express. Reinstall sambapos and choose the sqlexpress option.

Sambapos consists of two separate programs to work. You can not just delete it. In fact the software is fine your issue is the database which is a Microsoft product that sambapos relies on for the database. They are separate. But follow what I said above let’s try to get you on localdb at least.

Ok, Which screenshots necessary to send I don’t know.
I uninstalled Sambapos 5 pro.

I deleted programdata/sambapos
I deleted documents/sampos5
I deleted user/alp/sambapos

I uninstalled sql server express, sql server compact, sql server localDB

I installed again
The installer asked for the download of Sql Server Local db and I accepted it.
Then install completed:
and here is the screenshot:

Please tell me which other screenshots are necessary for you?

For your information:
There is no “SambaPOS5.mdf” file in User/Alp directory…
Samba doesn’t create a database file anymore but complaining that it cannot connect to database

here is the log file:

[Exception Info 1]

Top-level Exception
Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
Message: Cannot open database “SambaPOS5” requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user ‘DESKTOP-76PFB44\Alp’.

Thank you for your efforts of helping.
My complaints go to the developers not to helpers.

I really do not know of what screenshots should I send to you?
I want to turn my pc to the state to before installing and install SambaPos again…
What to do?

Here Jesse adviced me:
Do this go to add remove programs uninstall sambapos then delete the folder in in programdata(hidden) then uninstall sql express. Reinstall sambapos and choose the sqlexpress option.

I did it.
I uninstalled Sambapos 5 pro.

I deleted programdata/sambapos
I deleted documents/sampos5
I deleted user/alp/sambapos

I uninstalled sql server express, sql server compact, sql server localDB

I installed again
The installer asked for the download of Sql Server Local db and I accepted it.

And the result is the same:

Ok.
I uninstalled SQL express local db
And I started Sambapos and it did start!
There is red warning saying sambapos is working without a database but I should set a new one… all data gone… it is clean…
Now Can I set Sql server express instead of local db which gave me hard time… ?

Yes install SQL express full version. Set your connect string to connect to it.

Here???
How should I do it?

Data source is hostname\instance name for SQL.
If SQL is local you can use localhost
Instance name would be what you set on SQL install ie localhost\sqlexpress
User and password pretty self explanatory. Usually find the mixed mode sa user and chosen password more reliable for multi terminal setup.
Database can be anything you want. It doesn’t want to be existing db name as samba will create a fresh one.

I entered Data Source=DESKTOP-76PFB44\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos;

And…
it takes me here: