Print Account Transactions (Detailed)

From the release email notification about v5.2.4, I read there was a new feature:

Customer transactions detail report rule was added for the customer’s transaction history.

Looking into this further, as far as I can tell the only functionality related to this is a new Action Print Account Transactions (Detailed) which adds to what is available in the existing Print Account Transactions Action, that is, a hardcoded print out of account transactions.

So, the existing Print Account Transactions gives this:

Account Transaction                                                                      

Account Name: ABC-1111111111                                                             
Date: 24/06/2018 - 23:09                                                                 
Balance: 19.96                                                                           

Date        Description                                    Debit Credit Balance     
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24/06/2018  Customer Account Transaction [ABC-1111111111]              6.99      -   6.99
24/06/2018  Cash Payment                                                  -   6.99      -
24/06/2018  Customer Account Transaction [ABC-1111111111]              3.99      -   3.99
24/06/2018  Customer Account Transaction [ABC-1111111111]             15.97      -  19.96
Grand Total                                                           26.95   6.99  19.96

With the new Print Account Transactions (Detailed) we get this:

Account Transaction                                                                      

Account Name: ABC-1111111111                                                             
Date: 24/06/2018 - 23:09                                                                 
Balance: 19.96                                                                           

Date        Description                                    Debit Credit Balance     
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24/06/2018  Customer Account Transaction [ABC-1111111111]              6.99      -   6.99
24/06/2018  Cash Payment                                                  -   6.99      -
24/06/2018  Customer Account Transaction [ABC-1111111111]              3.99      -   3.99
24/06/2018  Customer Account Transaction [ABC-1111111111]             15.97      -  19.96
Grand Total                                                           26.95   6.99  19.96

Ticket:1/24/06/2018  Quantity Price                           
Toasted Bagel Jam                                                             1.000  1.50
Toast and Jam                                                                 1.000  1.50
Egg, Bacon Cheese                                                             1.000  3.99

Ticket:2/24/06/2018  Quantity Price                           
Egg, Bacon Cheese                                                             1.000  3.99

Ticket:3/24/06/2018     Quantity Price                          
Toasted Bagel Cheese                                                          1.000  2.25
Cold Cereal With Toast                                                        1.000  3.49
Bacon and Cheese                                                              1.000  3.49
Soft Drink                                                                    1.000  1.00
Juice                                                                         1.000  1.75

While it gives some useful new data, I don’t really see how much use this is? There are few issues with this:

1. Firstly, it’s hardcoded - I have no way I can modify the template of what is printed
  2. The ticket number format is not very clear - e.g. Ticket:1/24/06/2018 with ticket number and date combined, not a common presentation format
  3. Quantity to 3 decimal places, I don’t have that configured anywhere in my setup, assuming it just uses the default database format?
  4. No totals shown for each ticket
  5. Columns, especially on ticket breakdown, do not align.

I feel this has been implemented for a specific customer requirement (not mentioned on forum anywhere) without much thought to the greater community usage, from where there could be much benefit if this feature were more flexible and customisable.

For me, I could have really appreciated this functionality had it been customisable, and also being possible to easily access the customer transaction details via a repor tag - I don’t believe there is an easy straightforward way to do that right now?

Am I missing something here as to the benefit of this new feature?

2 Likes