SambaPOS 4 - An error occured while getting provider information

Hello,

I’m using LocalDB with SambaPOS4 on Windows 8.1 pro

I’m getting this error (picture). I’ve been using the software for almost a month without a problem.

The error comes up when loading sambapos4, when I click ok it closes. So I don’t have a way to open the software.

Please help asap. If you recommend removing the software and reinstalling it then please mention a way to backup the localdb and restoring it. I was a few weeks away from having a live backup solution for the machine.

Check the Connection String in the SambaSettings.txt file, located in:

C:\ProgramData\SambaPOS\SambaPOS4\SambaSettings.txt
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SambaPOS\SambaPOS4\SambaSettings.txt

Find the log.txt file and post the contents here, located in:

[DOCUMENTS]SambaPOS4\log.txt
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\SambaPOS4\log.txt

Your database is a pair of files - one with .MDF extension, and the other with .LDF extension. It may be located in the user directory as well. Make a copy of those files and store them somewhere safe.

You can also download and install SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). Use this tool to attempt connection to your Database.

Thank you for the reply QMcKay

I backed up the MDF and LDF files.

Sambasettings.txt:
http://pastebin.com/bDBLgPU4

log.txt:
http://pastebin.com/GLy11dMw

Unable to load the SQLUserInstance.dll from the location specified in the registry. Verify that the Local Database Runtime feature of SQL Server Express is properly installed.

I think that part of the error message explains the issue. Try reinstalling SQL Server Local DB 2012.

Thank you Emre

I uninstalled then installed (during the uninstallation process I saw something indicating SQL server localdb was corrupted)
The new installation should have dealt with that.

Log now:
pastebin.com/SJPb7yBi

I think the key to the problem is here:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 56 - Unable to load the SQLUserInstance.dll from the location specified in the registry. Verify that the Local Database Runtime feature of SQL Server Express is properly installed.)

Looks like localdb installation corrupted and you’re still receiving same error message.

Can you try a UDL test as explained here? You’ll find it under Test 2 - UDL text file section.

1 Like

I did a connection test

The default user and pass for the localDB are sa and sambapos, right?

Attached is the result. Please let me know what further tests I need to make.

No that should be something like…

1. Switch to first page and change the provider as SQL Server Native Client 11.0

1. Setup connection as follows.

• Server Name: (localdb)\V11.0
  • Use NT Integrated Security: Enter user name that you use to login to your PC.
  • Select The Database: Enter the name of the Database.

Clicking Test Connection button should result with a success message.

great, I got a “Test connection succeeded”

Does this indicate that the db is corrupted?

No I wanted to be ensure this is not a connection string issue. LocalDB allows connections but can’t initialize because it can’t load dll file mentioned in the error message. Uninstalling / Reinstalling should resolve that but if it does not you can try installing SQL Server Express version.

LocalDB is a user based database engine so changes on your windows login might be the reason of that. Using Express Edition will be better not to deal with such issues.

1 Like

Sounds good.

Can I import the localdb into SQL Server Express 2012?

Thanks a lot for your help

Please help?

How can I import my localdb into SQL Server Express?

Run a backup then set your connection string to your sql server and restore the backup.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply but I can’t open the POS. I get the error in the attached image.

Is there a way to have access again to the software or backup/export the localdb through a different method?

Is your connection string correct? You can fix it if not.

1 Like

how do I verify that the connection string is correct? if it’s not correct, how can I know what is the correct one?

I know where the localdb is stored.

• Setup SQL Server Express with Management Console.
  • From management console connect to your localdb and create your backup.
  • Uninstall SQL Server LocalDB.
  • Setup SambaPOS to connect to SQL Server EXPRESS.
  • On default SAMBAPOS4 database created on SQL Server Express restore your backup.