SambaPOS Database Configuration

so I’ve made a back up file, installed and ran from sql serve, and, now, trying to restore to backup database. the restoration gets aborted with this message. what could be the problem? any help would be much appreciated.

It means exactly what it says. It does not have permission to that dir. Move the zip file outside of your user dir then try.

moved the zip file to c:/programdata/sambapos/sambapos4/ and tried to restore from zip file. I get a different error message.

in between creating the back up and stringing to sql server, nothing has changed. could I get another pointer in the right direction?

Go to settings and mark the Allow overwrite.

I’ve tried that already with no success. I’ve got a longer different error message with that trial.

perhaps I messed up installing sql server? or incorrectly entered data connection string? I’ve referred to the installing sql server tutorial and replicated the steps. For local settings I’ve referred to this tutorial.

I moved 9 posts to a new topic: Help with Connection String

I moved a post to an existing topic: Help with Connection String

Hi Emre,

Issue - Cant connect to server PC from a client PC.
My circumstance;
I initially installed Samba using SQLEXPRESS 2008
I didnt not use named instance then (SQLEXPRESS)
Authentication is windows authentication
I have also setup 4 android tabs using direction on this platform, all tabs are working.

Now i want to add another Point of Sale PC (running windows). After going through the step by step database configuration tuitorial, i did the following;

1. Went to services and turned SQL Server browser to automatic
  2. Enabled “Named Pipes” and “TCP/IP” all under protocols for SQLEXPRESS
  3. Run from the programme files “Message Server Tool” and updated port to 8080
  4. Used the same port number for “TCP/IP” under client protocol
  5. Disabled windows and antivirus firewalls

On the other hand i have not been able to do the following

1. Change instance name from SQLEXPRESS to SAMBAPOS4
  2. Change authentication to mixed

These are the details for my connection string
Data Source=Server-PC\SQLEXPRESS ( I also tried using the PC’s IP)
Database=“Name of database file as shown under databases in SQL Management Studio”

These are my question;

1. Should i backup and install SQLExpress 2012 so i can change instance name and authentication type?
  2. If not, what should have been done that i havent done?
  3. On the server PC, the network icon shows “Network 4” whilst on client PC is “Network 2”. Both Computers are on “Work Network” and from the client PC the server is visible and can be opened (showing all shared USB printers, can also issue test print from client PC as well). Can the different network names be the cause? If yes, how do i get client PC show same network name (Network 4)

Thanks, I know you can help

If there is no other way to change the Authentication Type, then yes you could backup the DB, uninstall SQL Express, re-install it with Mixed Authentication, then restore the DB. I recommend that you use the most recent SQL Express 2014.

Here is how to change to Mixed Mode using SSMS …

You will then need to (or should) create a password for the sa Account …

The Instance Name is not particularly important, so long as you know what it is. I always have had my Instance as SQLEXPRESS since that is the default, and I host more than 1 DB on the DB Engine, some of which have nothing to do with SambaPOS. IMO, I do not recommend changing it from default to SAMBAPOS during install, but hey, that’s just me.

Check this value in SSMS as well…

No, this would not cause your issue. Those names are completely arbitrary. What is important is that your computers can all see the “Work Network” and any of the Computers and USB Printer shares being viewable indicates your network is functioning “properly”.

Ensure the Message Server Service is only running on the Master machine. Only 1 computer should be serving, while the others are clients/slaves.

Thanks Q MCKAY,
I have done as you suggested. Challenge persist. Tried connecting from client machine with the “sa” credentials and with blank credential as well, non worked.

Do I have to;

1. Create a new login in the DB for the client PC?
  2. Does “Terminal Name” under local settings matter?

Thanks

Are you getting a connection error? If so can you show that full error? What version of windows? Finally is the SQL Server Browser service running on the Server?

Hi @kendash what if you had to reformat the system that you used at the main license or migrate to a new server with better specs would you be able to reuse the license or activate there ?

Which license are we talking about? If you mean the SambaPOS modules yes you can log in to the website and clear license keys.

Thanks Ken,
SQL Server Browser is running. Message server activated using port 8080, firewalls off. Running Default instance not SAMBAPOS4 and with windows authentication not mixed.

Do i add a new login under securities in the DB for client machine?

Thanks

Yes the client machine has to have permission to the database set via MSSMS you could just add the client machines windows login and give it permission instead of creating a new one. Or you can create a new one.

Ok, Thanks but could it also be the cause of having the instance in windows authentication?

Thanks

No windows authentication works just fine. But its expected it will not work with other computers on the network unless you specifically tell it too.

I use windows authentication simply because I dont want or need to setup separate logins and passwords… just using windows logins is easier. Some people prefer mixed mode so they can define their own users etc.

1 Like

Thanks Ken,

I have been able to connect from client PC by creating login for client PC. Now am confronted with these issues;

1. Order placed from client PC not printing to kitchen and Bar although printers are shared with full control permissions
  2. Pictures uploaded into categories not showing on client PC although pictures folder are placed in public folder and also shared with full control permission

Would these be solved if i switch from “Work Network” to “Public Network” ?

Thanks to all for your prompt support

The way to test both of these issues is to simply “use” your network.

For example, from the Client, navigate to Network, then ServerPC, then to the shared Images folder, then click on a picture to open/display it. If you are not successful using this method, you have a permissions issue that you need to correct, and changing the Network Type might help.

Thanks Kay,

I have opened the pictures and issued test prints as well. They worked but not from Samba

Trying change of network type

Many Thanks