Second IE Window On Customer Display

At random times during the day a second instance of IE is showing on the Customer Display screen. This stays ‘on top’ and any subsequent orders show up behind that screen. Easy enough to close IE and all is well again but it would be great to stop it in the first place, any ideas?

Create a batch file and run on where you need. Execute the taskkill command like this:

taskkill /im iexplore.exe /t /f

1 Like

Killing/closing IE is not really an issue, it’s ‘why’ it’s happening. But thanks for the reply :+1:

I’ve encountered the same issue in previous set-ups as well.

Never really found a solution besides using graphql and running the template vis gql.

It works great because the webpage gets updated in real time instead of having it re-printed/refreshed on the screening IE does via printer template.

Ok, I’ll search the graphql option, cheers.

Solved.
I’ve set IE to start on the home page then set the homepage to the index.html file.

IE Issue

2 Likes

Good stuff.

I used to do this too.

As it turns out, its definitely a better option as it doubles up a lot less frequently, but sadly I still did notice double ups every now and then too.

I’m gonna try and look into building something via GQL using Qmk’s template maybe

Hmmm, not so solved. One thing I have noticed though is that the second IE window appears after a new person has logged into SambaPOS. Not sure if it’s related, can anyone else replicate this?

Over the last few days I’ve had several users logging in and out and there have been no instances of extra IE windows opening up. Probably not related to users.
I’ve installed a screen recorder to see if I can capture the workflow when another window opens . . . . I’ll update this when I get some results. :grinning:

The end of the extra IE windows seems to coincide with me making some changes to stop Win10 randomly freezing. I haven’t had an instance for over a week now.

1 Like

Still freeze free and no extra IE windows, looking good. I’m calling it RESOLVED at this stage.

What changes did you make to stop it from occurring?

I searched Google for “windows 10 randomly freezes” and went here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.partitionwizard.com/amp/partitionmagic/win10-freezes-randomly.html&ved=2ahUKEwj81aH8-bPsAhVWSX0KHRXQC64QFjAKegQIEhAB&usg=AOvVaw29XGM1sLwxD044plcKVdvb&ampcf=1

I didn’t do 3, 9, 10 or 11 but all the rest. 1 or more did the trick…(so far).

OK, so it’s not the Windows 10 freezing that causes the second IE window.

It happens on the first sale of the day if it’s a Takeaway - Cappuccino (or Latte) - Large. If I process the same order during the day it’s fine.

There’s nothing in the log to indicate anything happened.

I’ll do some more tests tomorrow, I can’t do it at home as I don’t have the second screen.

You can still do it, just move the windows around. It can run on the same monitor, not ideal, but possible.

It’s intermittent now (as in some days it doesn’t happen) but it’s always the first transaction. Last time it was a different coffee style and size but still takeaway. The common thing on the three instances that I’ve captured is Takeaway and First Transaction.

I just saw in this post from Jesse:

I’ll try an upgrade to see if that fixes the issue.

Lol, it didn’t mean what I thought🤦

Actually I thought same but I found out it still uses IE for browser printer. It only uses chromium internally for HTML viewer and related things.

If you uninstall IE does SambaPOS use whatever is left eg Firefox, or does it just fail to ‘print’?