Sharing Equipment Experiences

Thought I’d start a thread to offer people an opportunity to share their experiences with a hardware for SambaPOS. And since I smelt it, I dealt it… I’ll go first

I’m running the SambaPOS 5 and have been enjoying the flexibility of the software and the seemingly endless hardware possibilities to match it with.

In a cafe application, I’m current running:
i7- 4000 series laptop - Win 10 server
10" Asus Transformer - Win 10 Cash
8" no name tablet - Win 10 orders
7" no name tablet - Win 10 kitchen - for monitoring orders - also taking orders

As has been mentioned previously @Shivan, 32g is definitely too small to handle Windows updates. It takes monkeying around with a usb key to make memory for those to happen.

I’m wondering what users’ experiences have been with the alternative hardware configurations. I love keeping it all in Win 10, but updates are a pain. And if I could find a way to pause the updates, I’m not sure I would as I’m running all the machines with firewalls down. It’s behind a decent router that I can flash firmware updates on, but the security of it all concerns me.

How have people’s experiences been with the new Android app? Has it been a worthy successor to RDP? Does it really require 2g of ram on the android devices?

Then put firewall back on and correctly configure ports for samba to work on the network :wink:

All my tills I have sold and use are simple Dell USFF 780 with Core2Duo and 3-4gb ram. For setups with many terminals I use a stand alone ‘server’ machine which is usually a Dell USFF or SFF i3 with 8gb ram.
My own install (well.at my day job hotel) has same terminals but with 60gb SSD and the server I upped to an i5 with dual 120gb SSD and 16gb ram.

Personally I wouldn’t use a laptop as a ‘server’ but if it works and your happy.

Server - Windows Server 2012 r2 - i7-5820k, 16 GB DDR4, and some well-known-manufacturer 128 GB SSD

Terminals - Windows 10 Professional, 3x NUC5i5MYHE, 16 GB DDR3 each, 128 GB M.2 SSD each (hooked up via ethernet)

128 GB of storage has been fine for 2+ years, so far. My Server’s firewall is disabled, but my all of my terminal’s firewalls still remain the way they were. You definitely want your own router, and not a router that your ISP provides, whether it’s free or paid.

I don’t know what the Android app does, but I can tell you that being able to legally RDP to your Server with concurrent sessions is extremely convenient. Also, all of my terminals have Intel vPro, which allows me to remotely control keyboard, video, and mouse, even if the terminal is powered off.

I resell these the are IP 54 rated against damage from Dust, Dirt, and Spills. Very heavy duty. I configure them with 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, MSR, Win 10 IOT ENT 2016. They come with SambaPOS pre-configured with basic Menu setup and a preconfigured system image that I personally configured.

2 Likes

yeah. Confession. I’ve been too lazy to sort the ports out.

And I also agree on the laptop. We’ve got some funky power issues around here, so I appreciate the “onboard UPS” that the laptop battery provides.

nice with the Win 10 Ent — that should allow for delaying updates…

Where do you get the license for win 10 IoT?

sadly, i do not have that. It’s plain old win 10 home edition. I was responding to @Jesse’s rig.

Through my partner that supplies the hardware. Partner tech

Doesn’t that cost like $100 yearly?

No I do not pay $100 yearly. I pay a partner negotiated price and then I mark it up for resale

What type of processor?

I can order them with a celeron through i5 but I have tested them all and the celeron is more than enough.