Tax based on bill total

Ok. Where should I start

Do this:

If you have other Tax Rates for things like Alcohol, then create those Tax Templates as well and map the applicable Product Groups (GroupCodes) to the Template.

Then follow this post to configure the Custom Calculation, Action, and Rule:

I made the deletions and additions as noted above. Not working correctly.
Firstā€¦ it works fine while adding items to ticket but when Cancelling an item after subtotal is greater than $4 and new subtotal is less than $4 the extra tax remains as though subtotal is greater than $4.
Secondā€¦ all items over $4 are being taxed 8% including my non taxable items which should have zero tax regardless of amount.

Try this:

Create another action Update Ticket Calculation

Make another rule to remove PST Calculation

1 Like

Actually you will need more than that.
You need to edit constraint in Total Ticket Changed to
[=TN(ā€™{TICKET TOTAL}ā€™) - TN(ā€™{TAX-TOTAL}ā€™) - TN(ā€™{CALCULATION TOTAL: TAX PST}ā€™)]
instead of:
[=TN(ā€™{TICKET TOTAL}ā€™) - TN(ā€™{TAX-TOTAL}ā€™)]

Have to factor existing PST calculation too.

1 Like

I was never able to get the different taxes to work. My tablet was stolen during a breakin yesterday so Iā€™m starting all over with version 5. Is there anything new in V5 that will help make it work?

I see now. I didnā€™t look at the version 4 areaā€¦I know better. Iā€™ll let you know how i made out

Thanks

Iā€™ve tried relentlessly to get the two taxes to work and nothingā€¦i followed the above to a T. I need the taxes to work so I can present this to the board as a working POS system. This should not be this convoluted to set up taxes.

Dave

Normal taxes are not hard to setup.
What is your tax requirement?

The example above is not a ā€˜normalā€™ tax setup so requires additional work to configure.

pretty much the same as above. we have two taxes in ontario canada. GST/PST. Food under $4 is not PST applicable so only the GST tax portion is applied. I would think that just setting up a TAX template 13% and reducing the 13% to 5% when not over $4. I think my problem some products have the 13% no matter what. Some are PST Exempt when the bill is under 4$ excluding tax. an example from the Gov. site:

The owner of a restaurant in Ontario sells a cheeseburger for $2.99 and a 355 mL can of diet soda for $0.99 to a consumer. The total price is $3.98.

_The cheeseburger is a qualifying prepared food for purposes of the rebate. Because the diet soda is sold together with a qualifying prepared food, it is a qualifying beverage for purposes of the rebate. As the total price for the two items is not more than $4.00, the restaurant collects only the 5% federal part of the HST and pay or credit the rebate of the 8% provincial part of the HST to the consumer at the point of sale.

I apologize for being brash earlier. Just frustrated. Our current POS is just CRAP! No service or anything. I like the looks of this POS. It seems prettly lightweight but could definitely use some sort of manual (completed)

The way samba works a manual is very hard as its so customisable you could create a rule which would conflict with something in the manual and as your setup gets more complex it becomes unique.

This should be doable but its not going to be a tick box solutionā€¦ would you expect to be able to take any POS and it have the options for this tax setup? Unlikely, unless its customised for your country.
The advantage samba gives it it allows you to work arround these types of limitations through its customisability.

The built in tax templates will be all or nothing type taxes. You can map to specific products etc but ticket amount is not a factor as this is not a common tax setup.
You will have to use calculations as sugested above.
Cancellations can be pragmatically updated using all kinds of formulas but again its not going to be a simple tick box.
You need to work out what report and expressions you can use to return the results you like, and again because of the flexability of samba we cant just tell you the answer without understanding your product/grouping structure etc and how this relates to products,
The dificulty comes in that by sounds of it its not just lower tax under $4 its also product depended so you wil likely want to add some custom product tags to help you calculate what needs taxing.

I really donā€™t like this under $4 tax thing. If I donā€™t want to pay 8% more. I just order 10 burger on separate bill then save 8% and create trouble/annoying restaurant. It is loop hole Canada :wink:
Good thing they never increase $4 threshold for very long long time. At least 15 years.

Back to topic: @TBCOMPUTERGUY Info here should be enough to make it happen or I can set it up for you for a fee :wink:

I agree that it is garbage all these taxes. The current pos system that we have was designed with canada in mind, so setting up taxes was easy somewhat.
Back to topic: I still have to play around with Samba and give it a shot.
Yes some products are only GSTā€¦ ie gum, chips, coffee. most of our products are over $4, and there is no problem, but because some are not, we canā€™t charge pst and the government does check to see if you are charging correct taxes. Not always but when they do, they can go back 3 or 5 years. We only have 85 or so products, of that 20 are considered a qualifying prepared food. So yes indeed product specific. My initial thought was assign both gst and pst to all products. if the subtotal is less then $4 then apply gst only. however that doesnā€™t seem possible. But doing some reading perhaps i can program a discount to kick in automatically when the total hits $4 in the amount of 8%. Is that possible

What? Isnā€™t the point of HST is 1 tax no more gst and pst? I thought either no tax or hst 13% tax.

Like I said in an earlier post. Some items on the menu fall in a category of ā€œqualified prepared foodā€ meaning if the food is prepared in house. Like a sandwich made in the restaurant not shipped in. So like my example from the Canada Revenue website:

An owner of a restaurant in Ontario sells a cheeseburger for $2.99 and a 355 mL can of diet soda for $0.99 to a consumer. The total price is $3.98.

The cheeseburger is a qualifying prepared food for purposes of the rebate. (The rebate being the 8% pst) Because the diet soda is sold together with a qualifying prepared food, it is a qualifying beverage for purposes of the rebate. As the total price for the two items is not more than $4.00, the restaurant collects only the 5% federal part of the HST .

To answer your question, there is only one TAX-HST but, in a restaurant for instance as you can see above, we sometimes have to back out the 8% if under $4.

I donā€™t know how to explain it any more clearly. Sorry.

So, what the proper way to report. 1 tax HST and PST rebate?

is it possible to have a button that would remove taxes from selected items in an open ticket?

Ok i looked at our system again. We have a HST Prepared Food Tax category and a HST Tax category. The HST Prepared Food Tax category is setup as follows: Charge 13% if OVER $4 Threshold, Charge 5% if under. It has an ā€˜Alternate Taxā€™ option if under threshold. So each TAX category can be setup that way. HST Tax is setup at 13% and that is it. All products in this tax category have HST 13% on it no matter what. From here I apply a TAX category to each product. Therefore, If I select a product on then entry screen, that has the HST Prepared Food Tax Category attached to it, the program looks at the Sub-Total (net of TAX) and selects the proper tax for that product.

Make sense?

Sorry about this guys, i truly appreciate all the help but, i think if you plan to sell to Canada, it is better to have someone patient like me and natascafe trying to help setup a tax system suitable for Canadians for future people to follow. Regardless of the views on our tax system from me or anyone on the forum.

Back to your question: ā€œSo, what the proper way to report. 1 tax HST and PST rebate?ā€
The printouts just show the tax category and the tax chargedā€¦ it does not show rebate. It is implied that on say HST Prepared Food tax that there is no PST on that. I know most people in the world do not look closely at their tax charged on their bill.

So I have the two taxes working as set forth above. The problem now is that I have a product , 4.41 net of tax. Calculates the tax at .58 works out to be 4.99ā€¦ Correct. We offer staff discounts at 25%. Discounts work fine. But in this case the discount comes off at 1.11 (4.42*.25) leaving 3.30. This is under $4 and should calculate at 5% but still calculates at 13%. Not sure how to invoke a action/rule/automation the when a discount is taken to reavaluate the ticket total.

Dave

1. Try {PLAIN TOTAL} instead of [:TicketTotal]
  2. Constraint [=TN(ā€™{PLAIN TOTAL}ā€™) - TN(ā€™{CALCULATION TOTAL:Your Discount}ā€™)] Less than 4.01