Tip & CC Tip - Direct Payments

Hello everyone,

I have set Tip and CC Tip as my tip options unfortunately my staff is getting confused using these. Would it be possible to Pay the amount as either of the buttons hit. Let’s say I am going to add $5 Tip (Cash Tip in my case) , automatically $5 Cash payment is processed/made as the button is clicked… Vice versa, I will add $5 CC Tip then as the CC Tip button is clicked let it process a payment of $5 as credit card.

Hope didnt sound too confusing. Thank you.

Are you wanting (when cash or cc payment button pressed) a prompt for the tip amount, added to the bill then processed the entire payment?

Not the payment buttons but the Tip Buttons. If I type $5 and click Tip button, I would want that $5 to be paid as cash.

At the moment, I do have it set as you said but only if there is a change amount it asks.

My options are: Add change amount , no , cancel payment

If I can add a button to add a manual amount that would solve my problem as well.

Are you using Fast Cash buttons on the POS screen? Or the Settle screen to process payments?

I use both but this question is for the settle screen.

You can do that with calculations:

How I have it setup, the calculation uses an account transaction type that credits the shift cash account and debits the shift cc tip account.

Yes, I have this set. This only adds the tip to the ticket total. I need it to pay as cash right away, without a second step.

If your calculation is deducting from the cash account already, you can take the cash from the till as the money has been accounted for.

Let me explain the scenario;

Whenever guest pays the bill with credit card and leaves cash tip, the staff is getting confused and the system is open for mistakes the way I have it set so I would like to minimize it.

Lets say the bill is $150 and the guest leaves $10 cash tip but pay the $150 as CC.

Enter $10 then click Cash Tip button to add tip amount to ticket. 1 step
Enter $10 then click cash button to make the cash payment. 2 step
Enter All then click Credit Card button to make the credit card payment. 3 step

I am asking if it is possible to make step 1 and 2 into 1.

Sometimes they enter the cash tip and make all payment as credit card.

If there’s a cash tip, why enter anything if the ticket is paid-in-full?

Because it is a mistake and if a door is left open it will continue to happen so I am trying to minimize it thats all. User mistakes will always happen but minimizing them is the key.

If you cant help I understand, thank you for your time.

It may be that I’m just not getting it, which is fine, I can be dense from time-to-time.

I’m not understanding what cash tips have to do with a bill paid by credit card. Cash tips go in the pocket of the server, and the CC slip goes in the till.

THe only other way I can think of, is you add the tip via a calculation, then settle that amount in cash, and then settle the rest as credit card. But this is many steps which you’re wanting to avoid.

Ahh ok. I guess I was not clear, sorry.

The tip goes in the system (registered) not in to their pocket. We share the tips when we pay the salaries.

Okay, now I get it. Thanks for clarifying.

In places that I’ve seen tip pooling, it all goes into one jar and counted at the end of shifts. Perhaps that could be done for you as well; the manager and maybe one or two regular servers count the tips at the end of the day and enter that total in just once. Minimise the steps for servers, while still accounting for the tips.

Thank you for the advice but this is not a solution for me.

Either when the cash/credit card button is hit I should be able to enter the tip manually or when I use Tip/CC Tip buttons the payment should be processed automatically depending on the type.

I’m wondering if a payment processor would work. Let me play around and see what may be possible.

Yes it might if we cant get it to ask to enter manual amount.

Right off the bat, there’s an option to apply the balance as tip. Say the bill is 150 and 160 is entered, you’re asked if you want that as tip. This would work OK for credit cards where no change is returned (typically). However with a cash payment this gets a bit sticky.