Variable breakfast sandwiches

Hi all,

we’re a cafe and sandwich bar in the UK, I’ve recently downloaded SambaPOS. Its a big product and a sharp leaning curve, but before we put a lot of time in to learning the system, I want to get an opinion on whether it will cope with our breakfast sandwich menu.

We have two sizes of sandwich, regular and large, and a choice of eight fillings (bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, cheese etc ). We charge a base price for the sandwich, say £2.00, and then 50p for each filling. A bacon and tomato will be £3.00, sausage, egg and mushrooms is £3.50 and so on. We also want to add ketchup or mayo. Then we want to have the order on a kitchen screen for the cook to make up and present to the customer.

Can this be done? Give me some hope and a few clues!

Thanks, Neil

Yes it can be done. Read through the forum and use the search function you will find a plethora of information some even showing you step by step how to do what you asked.

1 Like

Thanks Jessie. I’m a ‘read the manual’ type guy, and although there is lots of info on the forum, I’m not sure what to call the thing I need to find! Anyway the good news is what Im looking for is ‘Order Modifiers’, which looks really feature rich. Needs a bit of thought as to exactly what I’m trying to do I think, but I suppose i’m just going to have to dive in a try to set up my products, and see how we get on. I can always delete it all and start again. Thanks again for the help.

Im in the UK also, what you want can definitely be done as @Jesse has said, and this would be a brilliant system for you to use and can be customised however you want

Theres also great support from everyone in this forum if you struggle with anything

Have a look here to get started

Thanks Rick, I just found this about the time you were typing your reply! I’ve had EPOS before but Samba is structured differently and is really feature rich. Theres a lot of system philosopy and terminology to work out. As I say, I think I’m just going to have to jump in and have a go. I can see a few long evenings ahead!! I’ll post again when (not ‘if’) I get stuck.

SambaPOS is perfect for this. I use base pricing and include certain ingredients while up-charging for additional things. For example, we offer 1 meat, 1 cheese with the base price, while additional meat/cheese costs more:

3 Likes

Wow! I guess that answers my question about if its possible!

Hi!

OK, I’ve been playing this afternoon, and I think I’m starting to understand how this bit works.

Can I ask about how I define products efficiently?

We have regular and large sandwiches. Is it best to deal with this as one product with two portions, or two different products?

I’ve looked through the forum for help on zeroing the database and getting rid of all the demo data, but couldn’t find anything. Any clues how I do it?

Thanks ahead. Neil

First are you using the Local DB install? Or did you setup with SQL Express?

If you purchase the Database Tools module from Marketplace it comes with a clear transactions option. This can also be done with SQL script when using Management Studio the following is the script:

DELETE FROM [TicketEntities]
GO
DELETE FROM [Tickets]
GO
DELETE FROM [AccountTransactionDocuments]
GO
DELETE FROM [AccountTransactions]
GO
DELETE FROM [AccountTransactionValues]
GO
DELETE FROM [Calculations]
GO
DELETE FROM [CostItems]
GO
DELETE FROM [InventoryTransactionDocuments]
GO
DELETE FROM [InventoryTransactions]
GO
DELETE FROM [Orders]
GO
DELETE FROM [PaidItems]
GO
DELETE FROM [PeriodicConsumptionItems]
GO
DELETE FROM [PeriodicConsumptions]
GO
DELETE FROM [ProductTimerValues]
GO
DELETE FROM [Payments]
GO
DELETE FROM [WarehouseConsumptions]
GO
DELETE FROM [WorkPeriods]
GO
UPDATE [Numerators] SET Number = 0
GO
UPDATE [EntityStateValues] SET EntityStates = '[{"S":"Available","SN":"Status"}]' Where EntityStates like '%Status%'
GO
1 Like

This depends on your personal preference for your business. Try both see what you come up with. You will gravitate to one over the other eventually.

1 Like

Ultimately it’s up to you if you choose to define 2 products, but personally, I define a single Product with Portions in cases like this. You can still have 2 Menu Items appear for the same Product, while auto-selecting the Portion on the Menu Item. Take this example for Coffee: I have 1 Product with 4 Portions, yet I have 2 Menu Items which are the most commonly Ordered…

While you can easily clear all Transactional Data (see the post by @Jesse) , you cannot get rid of the Sample Data, unless you clear other tables in the DB. No simple method has been devised for this, though it shouldn’t be too difficult once the Transactions have been erased. It would be a matter of knowing which table to clear before which. I don’t think anyone has looked into doing this before now.

1 Like

If you added this to the SQL Script it would work:

DELETE FROM [MenuItems]
GO
DELETE FROM [MenuItemPrices]
GO
DELETE FROM [MenuItemPortions]
GO

However any changes to menu you have done will be erased as well.

As for the Tables you can use:

DELETE FROM [Entities]
GO

but any Entities you have made will be erased as well as the tables.

1 Like

While the [MenuItems...] tables contain the actual Products, you would also want to clear the Menu itself which is in these tables:

[ScreenMenuCategories]
[ScreenMenuItems]
[ScreenMenu] (optional)

Then there are the Order Tags:

[OrderTagGroups]
[OrderTagMaps]
[OrderTags]

Note again, some tables may be referenced in others, so you may not be able to delete from 1 until you delete from another due to internal (FOREIGN) KEY CONSTRAINTS.

But as @Jesse mentions, you would be clearing the entire table data, so your own Products, Menus, Modifiers (Order Tags), Tables, Customers, etc. would also disappear, not just the Sample Data.

Order Tags are not part of the sample data. But good catch on the Menu.