Using Order Tags as Product Modifiers

You can use Order Tags to define modifiers for menu items. With SambaPOS V4 you can define global, product group based or product based order tags. Let’s see how it works.

I’ll start by defining Global Modifiers. They will work for all products in my menu. Navigate to Management > Tickets > Order Tags and Add a new order tag group.

Just give a name to Order Tag Group here. We’ll see other settings on next topic.

Switch to Order Tags page to add your modifiers.

… and add a mapping. I’ll leave everything as * (star) because I want to use them for all products.

After saving it create a new ticket, add a product and click on order line to display modifiers.

Clicking buttons will toggle (on-off) modifiers.

Closing ticket will send this printout to the kitchen.

When we print the bill it also displays order tags.

We don’t want to display General Modifiers on bills so we need to hide them on printouts. To be able to do it we need to modify Ticket Template. Navigate to Management > Settings > Printer Templates > Ticket Template.

As you know printer templates divided into sections by [Section Name] labels. [ORDER TAGS] section defines how Order Tags should display on printout. You can remove that section to disable Order Tag printing but for this tutorial I’ll add another section to disable General Modifiers.

I’ve added [ORDER TAGS:General Modifiers] section and left it empty. I’ve just added a comment to remember how I’m using it. That means General Modifiers will use [ORDER TAGS:General Modifiers] section and all other tags will use [ORDER TAGS] section.

Tip: Test this change by creating new tickets.

##Creating Product Group modifiers

We’ll add another order tag group for Salads.

Add some modifiers.

And we’ll map it to Salads product group.

You can also map it to a specific product by choosing a product name.

When we add a Salad and click on the order line all modifiers will appear.

##Free tagging

For some cases adding modifiers by typing modifier name would be handy. We’ll change General Modifiers Order Tag Group to support free tagging.

Enabling Free Tagging setting will be enough. If we enable Save Free Tags setting, adding a hand typed modifier will also save it to the static list.

After typing modifier name click + button.

##Modifier prices

Some modifiers can increase or decrease price. We’ll add another order tag group for Salads.

Create new order tag group and switch to Mappings screen to map it to “Salads”

Now we’ll add some modifiers from Order Tags screen

These modifiers have price so they’ll add $1 to product price.

Instead of displaying price separately you may want to add it to product price. To enable this feature go back to Salad Dressings group configuration and enable Add Tag Price to Order Price setting.

As a result adding modifiers will increase order price.

Instead of displaying 6.25 order price becomes 7.25 and no price displayed next to Tomato modifier. Printouts will also display 7.25.

##Limiting modifiers

You’ll notice we can select multiple dressings for salads.

We can limit selection for a single modifier group. Set Max Selected Items value to one.

Now we’ll be able to select just a single dressing for salads.

You can also define Min Selected Items value to force user to select modifiers.

In this case choosing no modifiers will display a warning and prevent us to close or print ticket.

Displaying modifier screen automatically

We need to click on order line to display modifiers. We can display modifiers automatically as soon as we add a Salad into ticket.

Navigate to Management > Products > Menu List > and double click Menu to edit menu properties.

Click Salads category and click Edit Product Properties.

It displays a popup for displaying menu item properties.

Enable Auto Select setting for the products you need to display modifiers automatically. With my configuration Modifier screen will automatically display when I sell Garden, Chicken Garden or Caesar.

Hint: Don’t enable Auto Select setting for all products. Enable it for products that have required modifiers. Enabling it for all products will decrease usability.

Default Modifiers

Default modifiers are useful if you want to add modifiers as soon as you choose the products. For example we want to configure Pesto as a default modifier for Chicken Caesar.

We’ll also change this setting on Menu Item Properties popup we saw on previous topic.

I wrote Pesto modifier name here. If you need to use multiple modifiers you can type their names separated with commas.

When we sell Chicken Caesar, Pesto modifier will be automatically selected and since we did not enabled Auto Select setting for this item it won’t display modifiers screen automatically.

We can click on order line to display modifiers screen and change Pesto.

##Quantity Modifiers

On this sample we’ll create modifiers for Muffin product for ice cream choices.

Min Selected Items will be 1 since we want to force user to select at least one ice cream. Also I’ve changed button color. You can change other display properties to change how buttons looks.

On order tag list screen I’ve added few modifiers. I’ve changed Max quantity values 0 so we can add multiple ice creams. I’ve also changed prices.

Now we’ll map it to Muffins.

I’ll also Enable Auto Select for Muffins.

I’ll create a new ticket and sell muffin.

Clicking Banana button twice will increase modifier quantity. Price changes as we add more. You’ll notice clicking modifier buttons won’t toggle modifiers. If you want to remove a modifier click Remove button and click the modifier button.

##Grouping modifiers

Imagine you are a pizza restaurants. You have a lot of modifiers and all modifiers have No, Less More, Double prefixes. If you have 10 choices that makes 40 buttons. You can group modifiers by typing a group name on group.

Entering a group name for Salad Dressing will display this group as a single button.

Clicking on this button multiple times will toggle dressings.

11 Likes

Emre, this is a great tutorial! Right now I am developing a sample SambaPOS solution for a Pizza Shop. I understand the concept behind modifiers and using product tags as product modifiers. One of the things I was wondering is there a way to have Order Tags recognize Portions?

For example, the sample store I am developing has 3 different size (portion) pizzas. When a customer wants to add a topping, there would be 3 different topping prices to correspond with the portion ordered. If the Order Tags (Product Modifiers) are unable to recognize the portion ordered, would it be better for me to just create 3 separate products and have separate Product Modifier Group for each size?

Thanks.

We don’t have order tag prices by portion feature but if we even have that I’ll recommend you not to configure pizza sizes as product portions. Create separate products for each size and configure pizza types as modifiers. I mean instead of creating a margarita pizza product and add portions as medium, large,etc…, Create large pizza product and configure pizza types (margarita, vegetarian, etc) as modifiers. However each business have their own rules so it should be configured as how business needs that. Let me know the use case if you really need to create sizes as portions.

PERFECT! I felt this was the most logical approach and this is the one we will use! I think it will also make workflow better at the store level.

Emre, is there a way of exporting an existing set of Order Tags in the list to a new Order Tag List?

Hi Emre

how can we add price automatic for extra toppings?
For example: salad comes with any 6 toppings at price of $7.00 and each additional topping will be $0.50 extra, if we have 30 topping to choose from and customer choose 8 toppings, then price should come $8.00 ($7.00 + 0.50 + 0.50) automatic.

is this possible anyway?

Tom

@allmixedup

Read up on this:

1 Like

@Isaac
Thanks For your replay
I read all your post and I download your file but I am new at samba pos. so can u please provide me little detail how to use this test file or please provide me how to create 6 rules.

Thanks
Tom

Is there a way to map order tags to Sub Menu Tags… so I have burgers as a menu category… and there are Regular burgers and Deluxe Burgers that include sides and a drink… which are under the Sub Menu Tag of Deluxe… These deluxe items can have different sides than the Regular burgers… but i want to keep them under the same category instead of having a regular burger and deluxe burger button.

That sounds like your attempting to use Submenu wrong. You can not (Should not) put order tags to a sub menu as sub menu is NOT a product its just a menu.

Why can you not just have regular Burgers product with its own order tags… and deluxe burger product with its own order tags?

Acutally i just figured it out… Im mapping it based on portion… so when i select deluxe… it picks up the extra sides… i think im starting to get the hang of this! :smile:

Its all relative to how you configure it. So Deluxe is defined as a portion? Sides are your order tags?

yes… same burger just different price and it comes with a side of your choice… so now when they select deluxe the sides pop up. I was trying to do it under a submenu because i thought i had to split them up to get it to work. Turns out i dont need to!

So deluxe is not a different portion size the only difference is what comes with it? I would not set deluxe as a portion size in this case… it should be its own product… Portion size should be used exactly like it sounds… a different portion of same product.

Deluxe Burger should be its own product…

I was doing that but the problem is that we want to keep everything under the same category… If we do that then i cant map the order tags for the deluxe items by group… i can map to product but having 10 products to map seems like a pain. Ill have to look at it some more and see what makes it easier for the wait staff. As far as portion is concerned it doesnt matter to me… the amount is the same… its the just name and price thats different. So I have a 5oz Regular burger and a 5oz Deluxe burger that includes the sides. So portion for both is the same price is just different.

What are you calling group?

Regular hamburger and deluxe hamburger should both be under same product group…

You would make one order tag group and map that order tag group to Deluxe Burger product… what do you mean by map 10 products? What 10 products?

Can you share your process you are wanting to do. I understand you have Regular burgers… What order tags do you want for these… you have deluxe burgers what order tags do you want for these? 5oz Deluxe burger is not a portion… of regular burger… its a different product.

We can help you set it up correctly if you can give us more information of what your trying to do and how you want it to work.

I think i got it… if i run into issues or questions ill let you know. I understand what your saying tho. To create two seperate products under the same product group.

1 Like

once we set maximum quantity of order tag let say 5 then if i order one item with 5 tag but later customer change mind say he want only 3 tag.

how can i reduce the quantity of certain tag once selected coz clicking the tag again is increasing the quantity!!!

There is a remove button.

it will remove the whole tag wont reduce the quantity