SambaPOS Server, Workstation & RDP Setup Guide

Have you seent he topic on best this to try when your not sure of the connection string?
loging in to MSSQL manager etc.?

data source= is not valid.

Look at this topic.

this is the server PC not a client connection

Read what I said. If that’s the string then data source= is not valid. Use the database setup option let it build the string.

Sorry I think i missed a step in the instructions Microsoft SQL Express 2012 is installed but i have not configured anything for it is there a tutorial for what needs setting up.

How do I use the database to build the string

If you did a default install of SQL Express without changing anything, then your Instance Name will be SQLEXPRESS.

If you followed the Tutorial on the forum here, it recommends to change the Instance Name to SAMBAPOS.

So your Data Source will be either:

Server-PC\SQLEXPRESS

or

Server-PC\SAMBAPOS

A sure-fire way to know what you connection parameters are, is to use SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) to attempt a connection to the SQL Service…

Once you successfully connect via SSMS, you will have all the information you need to connect via SambaPOS.

The default installation of SQLServer Express will create an Instance called SQLEXPRESS.

Installing SQL Server Local DB via SambaPOS installation creates an Instance called (localdb)\V11.0. If you installed LocalDB from the SambaPOS setup, you can leave your connection string blank, and it will work.

Installing SQL Server Local DB manually (outside of SambaPOS installations) will by default create an instance called (localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB

:exclamation: The LocalDB version of SQL is single-user only. You cannot have multiple terminals using this configuration. To enable multi-terminal operation, you must install SQL Express, since it allows more than 1 connection to the Service at the same time.

Keep in mind that an Instance is not the same thing as a Database. For example, my SQLEXPRESS Instance contains 9 Databases. There is nothing wrong with, and nothing stopping you from renaming the Instance during installation to be SAMBAPOS… just know that the Instance is not the Database.

:exclamation: The SQL Server Local DB versions do not install as a Service; instead they are simply a Process called sqlservr.exe, which you should see in the Task Manager.

If you are using SQLExpress, the Instance is shown in Services. Ensure it is set to Start Automatically.

If the Service is not shown as Started, then you have an issue with Service Startup in Windows, likely due to the way it is set to start or due to permissions.