Sorry to bug you guys again but

Im been trying to avoid this for as long as possible but my time is up. I had a terrible experience with v4 so far everything is going my way with v5. One of my biggest issues I had with and gave up on with v4 before trying v5 was the server. If you’ll remember seeing other topics I’ve started, ive said we have 2 stations running on their own server and database. So starting from step one what’s the easiet way to get the two systems communicating and sharing info. Example I can open a table on station one and close on station 2. I already have the main stations c drive mapped to the network. So what’s next? I’m guessing this is where sql comes in… I’m really scared. I know I have backups of my dB saved in the cloud and on a flash drive but last time I tried this with v4 we lost our database.

You need to use SQL Server Express 2014, install on main server machine, then other systems connect to it. You don’t share things via mapped drives. Read the following topic on how to install, setup and convert your CE database to SQL Server.

1 Like

You run from a single database one one of the two machines, they dont share data… understanding that will help you allot.
Mark has shared the link to installing SQL.
One hosts the database and the other one is a ‘slave’ and DOESN’T need SQL installing on it as it looks to the other terminals database.

1 Like

I think I can do this. I’m going in later today with a clear and confident mind. Im going to get this database going on the host comouter and then getting it running on the slave computer. I just have a slight problem thats probably a simple fix. I just had to grab a beer drive home drink it go to sleep and clear my mind. Last night I was running into this problem at the step where I had to open this program and convert the database. It wouldn’t let me create a database because one already existed I couldn’t make changes or delete or anything. It was giving me a headache so I went home. I’ll attach a picture at the bottom. Ideas on how to fix this?

Its been a while since I did a compact to full SQL express.
I remember it being a multiple attempt job.
Just take your time and follow the steps one by one and youll get it done

That part is optional and only if your using CE.

So what to do after installing sql? I’m still completely lost and all the tutorials out there have managed to do is confuse me more and cause me to have to restore the db after failed attempts. I have sql installed… I don’t know if my samba db is in sql. How do I tell and how exactly do I set station 1 and 2 to use this server? I’m just having huge issues comprehending this. The POS system we used is the past before losing our computer never had sql. All we had to do was map drive c on the host pc and on the 2nd pc configure the pos system to use the same db (on the mapped drive) This is a completely different ball field and it’s giving me a huge headache. I simply don’t understand these tutorials because they either aren’t explaining it well or what they are doing does not apply to me. Why can’t this be as simple as the other system. Create a file on system a find the file from system b. That’s literally how simple it was with our old system. Why can’t it be this way? So… just tell me starting from step one how do I ensure that my samba db is in sql and how do I get samba on both pc’s using the same db?

The program we used was cash register expres aka restaurant pro from PC America. We are not paying 1800$ for 3 systems. It’s out of the question so when we went shopping we found SAMBA. I just don’t see how things were so simple to do in that program. I’ve managed to almost completely learn SAMBA and it’s essentially a $99 version of a $600 program (CRE). Everything works the same. Except this server thing, it’s driving me crazy. I’m behind on laundry. I’m behind on tv shows. I’ve been trying to get this figure out for weeks and still am not any closer than I was when I started. I’ve literally spent all my time working on this and it’s been fruitless.

That is because your old software wasn’t storing data in a good way. Any system that isn’t using a proper database backend is likely something built 10+ years ago and upgraded bit by bit over time. I remember reading about CRE and PC America in general, they have a lot of bad customer reviews.

In SambaPOS, double click the logo in top left, it will make it into a window. On the title bar, if you have SQ at the end, it means you are using either SQL Express or SQL LocalDB. If it is CE, it means you are using CE database.

In Manage > Settings > Local Settings > Database you can view your connection string. In this example, I have setup using SQL LocalDB:

If you were using SQL Express, the Data Source= part would be your server name, e.g. Data Source=SERVER.

This is a bit old, but it explains about the connection string and setting up different database configurations in detail:

You also need Message Server running on the server machine and in client mode on other systems. If you don’t have Message Server running, changes of entities like tables changing colour won’t happen when done on other terminals. Here is guide on setting that up:

You need to ensure relative ports are allowed for both SQL Server and Message Server on Windows Firewall. You can read about it here:

I know it is quite complex, especially if you haven’t done this before. I just realised the original message I linked to at the start of this topic explains installing SQL Server 2014 and also converting CE to SQL database, but doesn’t go as far as how to configure SambaPOS to connect. So I hope these few additional topics help you in that respect.

1 Like

@polosrestaurant Take a deep breath and slow down. We’re here to help you. It’s never easy to learn new things but you will. The best way to get help is to show us what you have tried with screenshots or other media, explain the tutorials your working on and most importantly be detailed. Try really hard not to get frustrated and air it out on the forum you may lose interest from forum members.

SQL setup and troubleshooting is very common subject and answered in detail in thousands of forum topics. Just slow down and provide us steps your doing one at a time and then give us screenshots.

So lets start by determining what type of database your using. Double click the Sambapos icon in upper left after your logged in and show us a screenshot of the window’s title bar.

2 Likes

It says SQ at the top. I haven’t done anythiby yet except install sql. Under users under the c drive after you click polos the documents downloads pictures music folders etc show up. I see a samba sql file but I tried to connect to it and it said that wasn’t a proper db. I tried several different ways to configure the connection using data connection string… my problem is making sure my samba db is in sql and then connection to the sql db from both computers. I’m totally lost on what to do because it doesn’t make any sense. It just makes more sense to browe for a file instead of having to type out and manually configure this. It is really annoying. Samba is only user Friendly for staff members the programmers here are the ones who have it hard. I wish samba was more programmer friendly if you get what im saying. I still just don’t understand why I can’t just browse for a file like our old system did. We have 2 systems that won’t share a db. Last night we had 2 table 31s sent to the kitchen. Then one waitress fired the 2nd course and sent it to the kitchen and the wrong items were cooked and delivered at the wrong time. (Guest arrived 30 minutes apart) so guess #1 spent 30 minutes waiting on dessert while guest 2 got his meal brought to him early before he was finished with his drink or appetizer.

Station 2 is off limits until we can link it and share a db with station 1. We can’t have this stuff happening again.

Basically I need to be shown how to confirm that my samba db is in sql. Then show me how to properly connect to the db. How to set up this connection string. That’s what the tutorials do but none of them go into much detail and are very confusing. It sounds so simple but it’s not because I don’t understand it. It’s a whole new level of tech for this technician. This is not how I learned to link 2 systems and share db with POS systems. Most of the ones I’ve worked with is just a simple mapping of drive c on the moan computer then finding those files on the other systems.

I wouldn’t agree with that, its quite the opposite. SambaPOS is easy for users and also easy for those to configure in any way they wish, as long as they are willing to put in the time to learn. There are great tutorials, questions and people in this community who put in a great deal to help people, but none of that will make a difference unless you take a step back and follow guides on here, rather than saying how bad your situation is over and over… :wink: You mention few times about how your old POS “did things better” - if that’s the case, just pay them and use it. But I know you don’t want to do that, you have chosen SambaPOS now (a good choice! :slight_smile:) so please stop comparing how “easy” certain things were in that old system, it doesn’t help anyone help you solve your problem. BTW, SambaPOS is incredibly easy to setup and also reasonabily easy to configure for multi terminal use, if you just follow guides and stop thinking about what your old system did. Then post questions and get (free) advice on here. You want to embrace how well SambaPOS can help your business, you need to accept you either have to learn a bit yourself or get someone more experienced to help you with the basics to at least get you started. If you need someone to do the setup for you, I can provide professional support for a fee and set it all up remotely in no time, just PM me.

OK, Rant over :stuck_out_tongue:

Show your connection string on the Settings > Local Settings > Database screen like I mentioned before. I think you are using SQL LocalDB since you haven’t done any configuration.

Well, exactly! So it won’t “just work”. You have installed SQL Server, but you need to convert or setup your database on SQL Server first. Then you configure the connection string in SambaPOS to connect to your database on SQL Server. I am sure one of those tutorials I linked gave a full run through, or at least combination of a couple of them gives most or all info needed.

So firstly, reply back confirming your current database type (SQ you said) and connection string. If connection string is currently empty, that’s also ok, but we need to know this info so we can advise correctly.

And you say you have 2 db at the moment as each terminal is stand alone, so you need to choose one moving forward - the other you won’t be able to use anymore and you can’t merge either. So we are only talking about the db you want to keep that will become your “master” database for your whole restaurant multi terminal setup.

They are both the same db. I literally made a backup, then copied it over to the 2nd system. However we will run the main db on the bar pc it will be the server… and the Yes the connection string is empty. I have been able to figure out overcome and conquer everything the restaurant owner and staff wants me to do except link the db between the 2 systems. I’ve spent longer trying to get this db to work than i have on everything else combined. My problem is I’m a very specific person and all of these tutorials are v4 tutorials and even some of the v5 tutorials I follow them exactly then I get to the point where it starts explaining how to convert the db. That’s when it becomes French to me. Seriously these tutorials arent specific enough. They tell you what to do but not how to do it. This is not how I learned networking… things have changed since I was in school.
And then I try to follow the steps anyway and then I reach a point where what I’m doing looks nothing like the tutorial. Yes it happened with the tutorials you posted. I was not able to convert or create a sql db using that sql tool the tutorial told me to download. It said an sql db already exist. But how to convert or get my samba db to sql. From there I then just configure the connection strings on both pc’s to connect to the sql db. That part makes complete sense… what doesn’t make sense is converting the db to sql, then how go get this connection string configured properly. I already have a sql instance created called “samba” now how do I get the db into sql? Then what do I type out specially and tell me what you need screen shots of. I’ll be happy to post them.

Did you see this document? I tried to explain all steps there.

https://www.sambapos.com/wiki/doku.php/sambapos_database_configuration

Ok, so they were identical, but the moment you make a change or add a ticket on one, then they are different. Right now you have 2 identical separate databases, but they are not synced in any way. So you choose one of them, and that is your “master” to move forward.

Ok so you are using SQL LocalDB and using the default database configuration. So, there will be 2 files called SambaPOS5.mdf and SambaPOS5_log.ldf in the root of your user profile. That will typically be C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\. But you won’t need to do anything directly with those files, so just leave them where they are. You also won’t need them again once you upgrade to SQL Server.

Pretty much all v4 tutorials work fine for v5 if you can’t find a specific v5 one for your needs. Of course some screenshots might be different, and some processes might have better ways in v5, but generally nothing bad will happen.

That was because you were trying to use CE Toolbox tool to convert a (non-existent) CE database. You are using SQL LocalDB as we determined now, so you can skip that whole step about coverting the database from CE.

The good thing is that SQL LocalDB 2014 and SQL Server 2014 Express are actually the same database engine - the only difference is LocalDB is single user (single machine) and runs only when SambaPOS is open, whereas SQL Server runs as a windows service on your server or main system, and the other systems connect to the SQL server database via the network.

So, let me try to explain briefly your next steps and you also need to check or give me more info on some parts.

So when you installed SQL Server, you followed the tutorial. What did you set the SQL instance name to? Was it samba?

How about the sa password? And did you set it to mixed mode authentication like the tutorial said?

So with those details, here is what I suggest you do next:

1. Make a backup of your database. Go to Settings > Database Backups > Backups. Click Backup Database. You don’t need to give a description. Your backup will be saved in the default path - you can click Display Backup Location to open that folder in windows explorer.

2. Now you are going to connect to SQL Server from SambaPOS and create a new database there. Go to Settings > Local Settings > Database. Click Edit Connection.

Then enter the following into dialog that appears:

Data Source: COMPUTERNAME\SQLInstanceName - so if you installed SQL Server using an instance name of samba, and your computer name is SERVER, you enter SERVER\samba. If you didn’t set an instance name, just enter the computer name SERVER.
User id: sa
Password: your password - the password you set during SQL Server setup for the sa user.
Database: SambaPOS5 - you can change this to whatever you like, I suggest this one but you it’s up to you.

1. The connection string will be tested, and you will get a message either saying it is successful, or an error. If you get successful like below, click Apply. Then SambaPOS will return to the login screen and you will be able to login to the new database with the default PIN 1234.

If you get an error, post it here and we can advise.
  2. Now go to Settings > Local Settings > Database Backups > Backups. If you see your recent backup in the list (check date/time), then select it and click Restore Database. If not, or if you get an error, you can also try Restore from Zip and locate the zip file of the backup you did earlier. If you get an error message about overwriting database or naming, you can ensure Allow overwriting database... on the Settings tab is checked, or if it is currently checked, uncheck it and try again (I sometimes find this setting doesn’t exactly follow what it says so either one or other should work). If you get an error at this stage, again post it here.
  3. If all goes correctly, your existing database has now been restored to the new SQL Server database. You will be taken back to the login screen, and you should login with your admin PIN. If you got this far, congratulations! Your database is now running off SQL Server.

So, if that all worked, your next steps are as follows. I find personally it’s best to get everything setup working on the main system first before looking to the others so I will suggest in that order:

1. In Settings > Local Settings > General, make sure you select the terminal name of Server here. I don’t suggest leaving it blank.
  2. Get Message Server running as per the tutorial linked previously. Set it to run as windows service - note the port number given. Go to Settings > Local Settings > Message Server. Enter your computer name (e.g. SERVER) into the Message Server Name field, the Message Server Port you set and check Auto Start Message Server
  3. Make sure you allow the necessary services though your firewall on the main / server machine. I recommend all the steps in the link I posted earlier, here it is again for easy reference. That guide also repeats about message server setup.
  4. Go to Settings > Terminals. Create terminals for all your other machines. Set the Report Printer and Transaction Printer as necessary for each terminal (may be same for all, I don’t know your full setup and we can deal with those other issues about printing later if you need help). leave other setings at default.
  5. NOW you should have your server / main machine all setup. GO to your first other system, launch SambaPOS. Go to Settings > Local Settings > Database, and enter the identical connection string settings as you did for your server / main machine. If all goes well, the test will be ok and you can click Apply. If not, post here for help. Otherwise, you then just login with your admin PIN, and congratulations your other terminal is now running of the same SQL server database as the main system!
  6. Now, you need to configure Message Server on your other machine. Follow steps in the link from step 3 - Go to Settings > Local Settings > Message Server and set the server machine name and message server port, set to auto start. You should be done with that. Once you close and reopen SambaPOS, you should see the green word Connected at the bottom of the screen - this confirms you are connected to the message server (note this connected has nothing to do with database connection).
  7. Finally, on the other machine, go to Settings > Local Settings > General. Select the respective Terminal Name for this terminal, that you created in step 4. Close and reopen SambaPOS and you should be done.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for any other machines.

I hope this made it all clearer and you got everything working! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes and it’s complete French to me. First of all my samba db isn’t in sql I need to know how to do that. Second of all where do I put my server name my pc user name my file path it just doesn’t make since it’s very confusing. Like I said before this is not how I learned to link 2 pos systems to one db. So sql is completely new to me. I’ve managed to learn samba pretty easy except for this one issue.

But you just said:

SQ means SQL so your running localDB version of SQL. What you need to do is install SQL Express which you say you have… good. Use the Database Backup module to backup your current LocalDB then change your connection string to connect to your new SQL Server instance and load your backup using the same Database Backup Module.

Then on your 2nd terminal simply set your connection string to connect to the database on the main computer. Here is a great tutorial for solving common connection issues.

Common Database Connection Issues - How to resolve them[quote=“polosrestaurant, post:18, topic:9798”]
Yes and it’s complete French to me.
[/quote]

He wrote it in English…

I am very sorry but we do not have magic wands or hands that we can through the computer and do this for you. But @markjw offered to set it up for you remotely for a fee you might contact him on his offer. I want to point out that I am not a developer I am a user just like you and I had to learn it just like you and Ill be honest it was easy. Advanced configurations can be troublesome sometimes but its fun to work through them.

There is only ONE developer of SambaPOS and thats Emre likewise MOST of us are not developers we are restaurant owners. The tutorials work and work well. Thousands of people all over the place use them.

4 Likes

I’m just now seeing this post. I’m saying other tutorials were complete French but with what you posted I’m going to try again. I’ll let you know how it goes.