VIP & Happy Hour (or timed special) Discounts without Triggers

Hmmm… I was looking for a monetary amount off on some items (like $1 beer) and then a percent off of others (like 10% off appetizers). I can just do the dollar amount, but I am finding that it will not recognize any amount LESS than 1. So if an item is $8, then 10% would be .80 cents. But if I add an amount less than 1 into “product tag” it will not work. It just shows the original price. “1.80” WILL work, but “.80” will not.

Looking back the VIP config already does % discount… sounds like its using tag rate rather than price.

Yea, if I put a 1 in the “VIP1” Tag for a product, it deducts $1. If I put .5, it does not deduct anything.

Check the tutorial again, the VIP is using tag RATE not price which is a % of the price. If you were using rate it would be 1% not $1

I just imported the database. And it seems to work as the tutorial shows. They have screen grabs where the VIP discount amount is 10, and it subtracts 10 from the price, NOT a percent. For example, one capture hows 60 and the discount of 10 equaling 50. And another shows 500,00 with a VIP discount of 10 equaling 490,00. Seems to be an amount rather than a percent. And that is good, because that works for me.

On a side note, the HH Rule wasn’t working after the import until I mapped it to all.

For some reason I am not able to add HH Store Current PriceList twice in the same rule

2 Likes

Thanks for responding QMcKay. I wanted to try resolving this on my own as I know you guys are very busy and I’d like to ultimately be self-sufficient when it comes to Samba. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find the error and now there are new problems that have arisen.

First a response to your response:

By “research” I simply mean going into the ticket lister, selecting all tickets and searching by customer name and/or date. When selecting the ticket from the list it shows the orders however the tags are gone in regards to HH tags only. The VIP tags seem to work fine. (They tag correctly, save, and are still there when I pull up previous tickets.)

Upon further research I’ve found that the HH tags do remain on previous tickets so long as there is not an entity of any kind added to the ticket.

Here is an example of a ticket from March 15. Our Happy Hour ends at 8PM and is a $1 discount off Domestic beers which is where the balance of $4 comes from…

Here is a ticket the same day without an entity but has the HH tags…

Since posting my original question a new problem has come up. The HH tags attach to the order, however now when you add a table or customer the HH tags change to VIP and will not change to anything else once this happens. Example…

New Order from POS screen…

Upon selecting a table for the order ticket…

I’ve gone through the tutorial so many times I’ve lost count. At this point even if there was a misspelling or something I wouldn’t be able to see it as I’ve read and reread it so many times. I guess I’m not sure why it would suddenly stop unless a Windows Update or something could have somehow altered the database. That just seems very unlikely to me, however I have definitely gotten some weird behavior after updates have downloaded and/or installed.

Any help you can provide will be VERY greatly appreciated. I’d like to make sure I have a full understanding of what is happening so I can make sure I don’t run into anything like this again (and be able to remedy it on my own.)

While testing I finally decided to create a fresh database and try again with the tutorial. I used the import file and it worked like a charm so I know it’s not the machine it’s running on causing the issues. I took that idea one step further and backed up my live database, restored it on my test machine, removed any automation and imported it from the fresh database and that did not work. I didn’t think it would, but I thought by chance it may help me catch something I was missing from my live set up.

Thanks so much QMcKay! I really appreciate your input!

Ok so try this:

You could try adding another Constraint to this Rule, just in case:

{TICKET STATE:Status} Not Equals Paid

Besides that, selecting a Table Entity should have no effect on this setup. Only selecting a Customer Entity should affect the flow. These Rules are what decides when to switch between VIP and HH, and they are specifically Constrained to look at Customer Entities and their data…

If the Customer Entity has a VIP Level greater than 0, then the system sets the VIP Ticket State to Active, and VIP discounts override HH Discounts. The discount received depends on the Product Tag that corresponds to the VIP Level …

So as per the Tutorial, the names of elements are not arbitrary, because the setup is looking for very specific details.

For example, you cannot change the Product Tag to be “VIP1, VIP2, VIP3” and then expect this to work, because the setup is looking specifically for “D1, D2, D3” as shown in the picture above, and in places like this:

'{ORDER STATE:DiscountType}'=='VIP' && [=TN('{ITEM TAG:D{ENTITY DATA:Customer:VIP Level}}')]>0
                            corresponds to D1, D2, D3  ^

I’m on the exact same page as you which is why I’ve read the tutorial 100 times, however, the tutorial and the imports do actually refer to the product tag captions as VIP1, VIP2, and VIP3… not D1,D2, and D3. This caused a lot of confusion for me in the beginning but after comparison I was able to make the corrections and it worked.

I realize that it is not supposed to be looking at anything other than customer entities but alas, somehow they are related in my setup. I guess that is what I need to find out… how, why, and how to correct it. If you think about it, the setup does work… until you close the ticket. Is there anything I could be missing related to opening and closing the tickets that could somehow cause this?

One other thing that caught my eye… if my customers are not VIP, the VIP Level in their customer entity is blank, not “0” This would not cause any issue would it? Looking at the rules it doesn’t appear it would, but I’m grasping at straws here.

Thanks again for your time!

I cannot tell you that. There is nothing in the Rules that apply to Ticket Closing.

No. That would not cause any issue. Blank is fine.

Thanks QMcKay. One last question and I guess I’ll just keep hammering it out until I found out what it is. Got to love process of elimination.

There is an Order State referred to in the Tutorial, DiscountType, that is used in the automation. Is this a state that needs to be created under Manage>Settings>States? It is not created with the import or in the tutorial.

Thanks!

You do not need to create the DiscountType State.

It is not necessary to create States for you to be able to use them.

Hi all. Thank you for this tutorial. I want to use this as just a standard happy hour, Mon-Fri, so to modify it, I just deleted the WTF rule and the modified the MT one to “Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri” in the “Date Matches” area. Also the HHStartTime to 1459 and end time to 1801. However, it seems to work sometimes and not other times. Did I modify it incorrectly?

Show a screenshot of your modified Rule.

Remember: Constraints are case-sensitive.

Also, if your language is not English (ie. if the Locale is set to another language in Windows) then you will need to match the 3-letter days of that language.

Thank you again QMcKay. After a good deal of research I decided to go through all of the Rules and Actions I’ve added to Samba since V4 and sort them all accordingly. It took some tweaking but that in combination with this additional constraint fixed both the Order tags disappearing and the VIP/HH entity switching issues I was having.

You’re a gentleman and scholar! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, Thanks for this awesome tut. I made it succesfully. It works well. But the problem is if any employee selects the vip member for any of his friends ! his friend can get %50 discount with this trick.
QUESTION is: how can i block my employees from selecting vip member for tickets ?

We made our locals discount function using RFID fobs which are swiped to select the customer entity which makes the locals price list apply.
I also setup so staff could also have fobs but made it so they couldnt swipe there own fob if they were logged in.

Sorry, if this message was for me, i just could not understand …

It was, that’s how I made it so only people with fobs could get the discount.

There would be other ways, if you explain how you want to restrict could offer ideas.