Step by step on how to Configure multiple concurrent RDP clients to run SambaPOS (IPHONE ,IPAD, Galaxy tablet)

Here’s a step by step guide on how to run multiple concurrent RDP sessions.

My Test system configuration:
Laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise (Windows Pro is recommended) - Main System

Other Devices (clients):
Iphone 3
Ipad
Galaxy Tab 3

Required Software Patch:
2X Client for Desktops, Mobile Devices - http://www.2x.com/rdp-client/

Patch/crack Required to enable-concurrent-multiple-RDP-sessions:

Windows 7 patch: <edit: link removed by request>

Windows 8/8.1 Patch: <edit: link removed by request>

http://samarthparikh.blogspot.com.br/2008/10/enable-concurrent-multiple-rdp-sessions.html

Step 1: Configure Remote Settings

Go to Control Panel, System, Remote Settings

A: Select Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer check box

B. Select Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop to allow people using any version of Remote Desktop or RemoteApp to connect to your computer. This is a good choice if you don’t know the version of Remote Desktop Connection that other people are using, but it is less secure than the third option.

or

Select Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication to allow people with computers running versions of Remote Desktop or RemoteApp with Network Level Authentication to connect to your computer. This is the most secure choice if you know that the people who will connect to your computer are running Windows 7 on their computers. (In Windows 7, Remote Desktop uses Network Level Authentication.)

C. Add Use Account for each RDP device.(in My example i have added Test 1 and Test 2.

Test 1 user account (standard user) will connect using Iphone
Test 2 user account (standard) will connect using IPAD
Morshed user account (Admin) will be configured on Galaxy Tab.

Step 2: Install Patch Required to enable-concurrent-multiple-RDP-sessions:

My system is Windows 7, so i’m going to configure Universal Termsrv.dll Patch for Windows 7.

Choose the corresponding patcher based on your Windows 7 :
For 32bit(x86): UniversalTermsrvPatch-x86.exe
For 64bit(amd64): UniversalTermsrvPatch-x64.exe

Require administrator rights. Right-click the exe file, select Run as Administrator.

Click on Patch to Install

Click on OK

ClickYes to Restart- Installation complete.

Note: If wanted to restore the original Termsrv.dll file you can run the Universal Termsrv.dll Patch utility and select restore.

Step 3. Install 2x Client on the client devices (IPAD, Iphone or any other tablet)
2X Client for Desktops, Mobile Devices - http://www.2x.com/rdp-client/

Follow the steps on below link on how to add a RDP Connection.
http://www.2x.com/docs/en/manuals/html/client-android/2XClientForAndroid.html

Additional usefull Information:

If you are using Terminal Names within SambaPOS - ie Terminal specific menus, etc, you need to make sure that you move the SambaSettings.txt file to the user path for SambaPOS for each RDP user. This is typically C:\Users{user profile}\AppData\Roaming\SambaPOS\SambaPOS4 If you don not do this, all RDP users will have the same Terminal Name.

You can file the App Path & User Path in Manage->Settings->Local Settings.

iPads (Apple devices) seem to hate Windows computer (NETBIOS) names.
Set a static IP address on the RDP server (so a restart doesn’t set a new IP address), and connect using IP address instead of server name.

8 Likes

So, in order to ensure we are on the same page here. Would the above configuration allow wait staff to simultaneously place orders to the main POS without one having to wait for the other to complete placing an order?

@Armetrix, you are correct. Each RDP device (tablet) operates as an individual POS terminal.

on the different user account on your computer.

@Armetrix,i have uploaded a video. the Video shows working with two devices (laptop and Samsung Tablet). i have been testing with four devices and it works perfectly…

1 Like

Thank you! I will go through this tomorrow.

Perhaps there is something I am missing here. We have installed the patch. We have RDP into the main computer. We are using a Nexus 7 pad as a 2nd device. When we sign on to SambaPOS, we get a separate instance of it and are not able to share the same database. Are we supposed to configure terminals for each device? Thanks.

Have a look at my documentation SambaPOS Server, Workstation & RDP Setup Guide

You will use the same database and you should set different terminal names for each SambaPOS terminal.

Thanks John S! I will try it out.

Well… maybe I’m the first to pipe in as a guy using this patch for less legally-questionable purposes :wink: (only Windows Server is licensed to allow more than one user on the PC at once - and licensing is super-critical for business purposes!) We’ve got a gaming PC in the living room connected to the TV, which is the most powerful PC in the house, connected to the home net via gigabit LAN. This would let me connect it to the stereo and play music without having to keep the TV on to manage it. And the roommate can play games while I use the background idle time for other CPU-intensive tasks my laptop isn’t great for. I SO NEED THIS. :smiley:

Also figure it’s worth commending the site authors - the registration process here is insanely easy with very well-done Google integration, and this reply box is just… awesome in every possible way. Well done. :smiley:

Update: Got the patch done on our PC - running 8.1 x64 fully updated. I didn’t feel safe using the pre-patched file, so I did it my own way with the help of the linked guide. Looking for the original bytes to patch, though, my version - updated on 4/2014 by Windows Update - didn’t have the full sequence of bytes. The pattern “0F 84 1B 70 00 00” at the end of the segment was different. But knowing how assembly code works, I patched over the different bytes with “90” anyway (as the instructions indicated), and the patch worked great.

In Windows 8, just like 7, Vista, and XP before it, SFC wants to protect the file. I had to take ownership of termsrv.dll through the file properties, then give Administrators “full control” (only read is given by default). Then, I ran an rundll32 to sfc_os.dll to disable SFC until reboot (I don’t want to totally disable SFC for this!), using “rundll32 sfc_files.dll SfcTerminateWatcherThread” which gave no errors, then renamed the old file to termsrv.dll.bak, and copied my patched termsrv.dll into System32. Rebooted, and I was able to log in from the laptop without logging off the user on the TV. :smile:

So, basically:

• copy termsrv.dll to desktop
  • use hex editor to locate “8B 81 38 06 00 00 39 81 3C 06”
  • replace that, and the following bytes, with “B8 00 01 00 00 89 81 38 06 00 00 90 90 90 90 90 90 90” (do not expand the file)
  • take ownership of termsrv.dll through Properties, and give Admins full control
  • launch “rundll32 sfc_os.dll SfcTerminateWatcherThread”
  • rename termsrv.dll to termsrv.dll.bak
  • copy patched termsrv.dll from desktop to System32
  • reboot

And done! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thnx for the download and the info :smiley:

Falcon4, if someone would be too nervous to follow the steps you outlined - let’s say they didn’t understand them for example… Do you feel that running the patch linked to at the top of this post:

Windows 8/8.1 Patch:
termsrv.dll_patched-win8.zip

safe for Windows 8.1 - or do you have reason to be concerned?

I would recommend moving way from RDP using above patch. Microsoft released KB2984972 patch, which has been discussed on below. Instead i would recommend you invest on low cost tablets.

1 Like

Everyone should understand that installing Hacks into your PC to deliberately hack the OS to do something it was not meant to do and violates the agreement with Microsoft for using the software. Please everyone understand that this is not just a patch or a small fix… it is a deliberate HACK of a DLL file and it certainly could cause all sorts of problems.

This is just not smart when you have a business running on that software.

The hack definitely works on W7 Pro and is one of the easiest to implement.

But… I was unable to send messages to clients logged in or log them out, just get access denied. Couldn’t understand the bit about samba text file which allows the name of the device logging in to be shown in the Event log - there are no folders in any user folders relating to Samba.

Other than that well done

have you tired looking in this folder ProgramData/SambaPOS4 its a hidden folder so you will need to enable view hidden folders in your settings. I dont know if that contains what you need, also usually the folders cant be in a users area as permission issues stop it working, you usually have to locate the folder somewhere like C:\ where all can access

hi morshed1, it looks great software working. did you configure by recommend above? i have try but didn’t work.

Hi,
If your planning a Multi user mode then i would recommend consider SQL server configuration. This has been discussed under below link.

2 Likes

does anyone know how to do this a simple way for windows 8?